Monday, March 10, 2014

Ringing the Bell

So much time has passed since my last letter.  We've been so busy just ''doing life'' that I haven't had the chance to sit down and pour my heart into words.  If this journey has taught me anything, it's that life continues on...no matter what the circumstances are around you.  The days pass faster when you are fighting for every one of them.

In talk of days, there's a new date that has significant meaning to our family now.  January 16, 2013.  The day I finished chemotherapy for breast cancer.  Five months of almost weekly appointments, weekly infusions, days of recovery in between.  Five months of hair loss, energy loss, and other pesky side effects.  But most importantly, five months of love, support, prayers, and peace.  Five months of enlightenment.  Five months of purpose.  Five months of a journey that God laid out for me.


This is a picture of me ringing the bell outside of the cancer center.  Survivors get to ring the bell to signify completion of their treatment.  What a feeling it was to ring that bell that day!  It's a Wonderful Life taught us ''every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings''.  Boy, did I feel like I had angel wings that day, flying high, rising higher and higher above this cancer.  The sound of that bell ringing is truly imprinted on my heart forever.

So next is surgery....February 18.  I have a four week break from doctor's appointments and infusions.  From medicines and blood draws.  Although I welcome the break, I wonder if I will be worried, as not visiting doctors doesn't give me the reassurance that things are okay.  But, that's when I most lean into my reassurance from elsewhere.  From my Heavenly Father.  I must be reassured by Him that everything is okay.  That the cancer is not growing.  That the chemotherapy has done its job.  Girls, we must always seek His reassurance in all situations, that are within our control or beyond.  It is God's reassurance that will give you the peace that passes all understanding...a peace that I now know well.

See you sweet girls on the other side of surgery!  Love you mostest--Mommy

No comments:

Post a Comment